Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Memory Lane

As I begin to write the next chapter in my career, I have been thinking and researching how I should update documenting my skills, my resume, and my LinkedIn profile. I have completed a LinkedIn course, and am working with a coach. One idea that I am beginning to understand is there are different ways of expressing my work. For instance, a LinkedIn profile isn't a resume (which should be tailored to each application) and so documenting all experience - even the really early stuff - can count. Every moment is an opportunity to connect in unexpected ways, ways I may never have recognized previously. And so naturally, this got me musing once again . . .  how did I get here in my museum career journey? What is my story? How have I / how may I in the future connect with people? 

I started breaking down my story, going through my memories, thinking about adventures and even bringing out photographs (with all 'dem crazy hair dos / don'ts!). I do see how everything has built on the last experience to make me better, more prepared for the next career step. I am also beginning to understand, in hindsight, where I could have slowed down a little, and how I can still learn from those experiences. I am now taking the time to explore my privilege, uncover what I found out along the way, what took me to the next phase . . . This review is all very therapeutic for me right now, helping me see how everything changes. It may seem self-indulgent, but this realization is giving me an understanding that these transitions are what makes life interesting, and is how I learn and grow.

So, briefly put (ha!), my steps and stops along this road have included . . . 

 1.  What can I do with a History degree?
 2.  Canadian Forces Reserve adventure (in music!) There's No Life Like It
 3. (Tower of) London: Dream / Reality (My Time at the Tower)
 4.  Finding Home: Edmonton volunteer & work experience (Coming Home, Part 1)
 5.  California: Volunteering, Grad school, museum work (A California Dream)
 6.  Return to Canada: Heritage Officer at BC's Government House
 7.  Making Connections: Cultural Program Coordinator at a University
 8.  Museum Consultant: Work & Challenges
 9. Being an Archivist in a Library at a University in a National Historic Site
10. Senior Registrar at a large museum & Daring to Lead: Director of Collections at a large museum 
12. Lessons learned (so far!)

I will come back to this post and link to the above when I have written a 'chapter'.  I may also bunch/group posts - write a couple before I send out a link to my Twitter account @Owl_ (rather than flood my LinkedIn feed with this written therapy). 

A couple of caveats here: I have written about a few of these experiences already in this blogspace, and will be linking back to a couple of posts (and review all hyperlinks -- ouch, many don't work any more!). Also, these may be my memories, but I share them with a lot of people. If you are reading this and you recognize that you were there in that chapter with me, please jump into the comments below and add in what I may have missed. 



A laneway in Wales,
visited with my dad, mum and daughter in 2013




1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting journey. Look forward to hearing more from you, Caroline.

    ReplyDelete