Monday, October 2, 2023

 Lessons Learned & Next Steps



This plaque was given to me by a friend who had it in her house for years. She said she had placed it on many different walls, in different rooms so she could see it and have it remind her to 'keep the faith' in challenging times. She said she had recently moved it but hadn't figured out its next home . . . but when I came to visit, ah-ha! she knew I needed to have it. So now it is up on my dining room wall . . .

I am not going to lie, it has been a very VERY challenging year or so on my museum career journey after my last work experience at the big museum. I have had the opportunity, though, to really work through some tough thoughts, and come to the other side. In no particular order, they are:
  • I am Caroline, a kind human who does good work and makes meaningful connections. I am more than any title, where I work, where I live, how much money I make, even who I love. I have learned to be first to see my own worth, and not to need to have someone else show me my value.
  • My superpower is organizing thoughts, ideas and information. I have the capacity to easily see the fine details of a project and then zoom out to the bird's eye view and then go back into another detailed project. And then I can weave it all together, like magic.
  • Primarily through writing this last blog series and my notebooks, I have rediscovered just how much work experience I have and that yes, I have transferred my museum-based skills in other areas of work, and can do so again.
  • I matter and my ideas are meaningful, museum-y stuff and otherwise.
  • My job is to bring the best of me to whatever I do. Some days my 'best' needs help, and so I find support and that's okay. But other times my best is AMAZING and I really need to make time and energy to celebrate that. I need to believe in myself and to take it with me into the greater world. In a way, this blog has shown me that I have learned a lot of lessons over the years, and I need to remind myself of those lessons from time to time. (It's kind of like thinking I am Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz . . . the answers are already within me, I just have to click my blog!)
  • I am curious and my heart is open. I believe in trust and vulnerability; fundamentally, these values need to be earned and reciprocated for any relationship to grow.
  • I have / am learning to surrender to the moment. And no, I don't mean giving up! But I have learned that if I can be still and be present, I am right where I am supposed to be. The Universe, in fact, has my back and has organized some incredible things for me. I am learning to be comfortable not knowing all the details and that everything will happen as it should. 
  • I am tough. My new mantra is "Even if _______ happens, I am going to be okay". Cuz it's true!
  • There's a lesson in every experience and yes, some are REALLY hard. But in choosing to be stronger, I only make myself better in getting through the challenging times. And for this, I am ever-grateful.
This entry marks the end of my own personal Eras Tour (oh how I love Taylor Swift and how she has rerecorded her albums!) in reviewing where I am going on my career. I am not sure right now where that may lead me, and that is both exciting and daunting. But I hope to pop back in to write about a museum issue from time to time, and to update you to where I am. In the meantime, you'll find me continuing my journey, running in my new 'race day' shoes which I call my swifties cuz a. they are springy, help me run fast and b. they are pink and sparkly. What a fun way to take my next steps!



No comments:

Post a Comment