Tuesday, January 24, 2023

What can I do with a History degree?

Waaaayyyy back in 2011, I wrote For the Love of History. I am almost surprised how much the post resonates with me still - it actually might be my favourite. I especially like this part:

Ever since I can remember, I have been obsessed with history. Or maybe a better way to say it is story - his story, her story, their story, your story, our story. I have always wanted to know all the details of how we live our lives, from where your family is from to if you love your community down to what you had for breakfast (and if you ate it with your kin, or if you just grabbed a cup of coffee — no sugar — as you ran out the door). I believe I get a true connection with others through these vignettes, and I understand people better, as I get to see life through someone else's eyes.

Oh, and how I still love history. And although when I was growing up, it might seem more obvious that I should have liked English class in order to find and share these stories, it was actually Social Studies / History that drew me in. I wanted to understand how people have experienced life around them, especially people in the past. Needing to know more about this lead me to pursue an undergraduate degree in (primarily) Canadian History.

Pragmatist that I was though, I wanted to figure out how to use this degree. I had not considered a a graduate degree yet because I was really eager to get out and travel as soon as I finished my studies. I also knew pretty early on - and I am not sure why - but I did not want to teach in schools. So I started to look for examples of where this degree could be useful. I thought maybe a historical researcher for a movie? I could see in credits that this could be a thing. Or maybe for a book? How could I get into that? I had gone to the Provincial Archives and used primary resources to write a paper on muskeg and homesteading in northern Alberta . . . I also heard that yes, an undergrad degree like this could be a stepping stone for later, maybe getting a law degree or even furthering it so I could get into the diplomatic corp and REALLY see the world. But alas nothing quite fit . . . until it dawned on me: museums and collections, and the stories they hold. What would it be like to use my degree and work in a place like that? As so, as the second part of the quote above reveals . . . 

My love for museums and collections care grew from this love of history because, for me, it is objects that bring a tangible reminder of what has gone before, and how people have related to events, as the stories associated with those objects brings meaning to their experiences.

I decided I would use my history degree to tell stories - and history - through things. I would use this skill to help learn about and understand the world and our experiences around us and (hopefully) provide some relatable, common ground to meet and share our lives. And so in 1990 (ah, showing my history now, for sure!) I decided would take my history degree and find me a museum to serve. The adventure had begun!



Some real-live textbooks I used all those years ago . . .



. . . and a bonus grad photo. Oh boi!



No comments:

Post a Comment