Tuesday, February 14, 2023

 There's No Life Like It . . . 


Now before I get all museum-y on my journey down Memory Lane, I need to acknowledge a really amazing experience I had in the working world as a young adult.

You see, when I was still in high school, my older brother joined a band. Now it wasn't *that* kind a band, but one that had - what!? - a prerequisite of going through basic military training for the army reserves. This did not sound so appealing on the outset . . .  until the band part of his job started, where he marched in parades and played in a concert band for mess (official) dinners. This was a part time job?! Paid to play his euphonium? The clincher, though, was when he was approved to go to music school for the summer, away from home. THAT sounded cool and so I got my flute, auditioned for the band and got in as well, at age 17.


Ya first though . . . that basic training part. Oh boi. Uniforms, marching, learning to fire and care for a rifle. There was even rappelling down a wall, for which I did not do too well (that whole heights thing). We also DUG A TRENCH and participated in an overnight exercise. I will be the first to admit I was way more Private Benjamin than GI Jane! But you know, I got through it. I kept telling myself that if it didn't work out, I could fall back on my swimming instructor certificate and do that part time through the rest of high school and into university. But I didn't have to, as I learned discipline, to do a proper uniform kit - including polishing boots! -  and how we all had to work as a unit for us all to succeed, no one left behind.



I spent that first year in the band going to band rehearsals both in the drill hall learning how to play and march, and in a concert room practicing regimental music. Then I also got the opportunity to go to the Canadian Forces School of Music that next summer. In order to get promoted, we had to complete our 'TQs' - Trade Qualification levels - which, for musicians, included scales and technical pieces. The way courses were scheduled though I couldn't do my TQ right away so I chose another course. I decided what I needed was to learn how to be a drum major . . . how to lead the ENTIRE band around the drill square, learn how to hold and then signal with a large mace where we are supposed to go. Gutsy, eh! I have NO idea where I got that gumption, but I did. And this was on top of living in barracks, figuring out how to braid my own hair, getting up early and showing up at the music school on time. But I did it, again with the guidance of instructors but maybe more importantly with the support of my colleagues - from all over Canada - that were soon to become lifelong friends. It was truly a magical summer job.

There were a lot of flutes that first year at the school!

I was encouraged to take a junior leadership course after a couple of years of playing in the band. This was also a part of the requirements for promotion. By this time, I had switched from the army to the air force reserve. The training, though, remained focussed on working together, getting everyone through the challenges put in front of us. There was more tough outside stuff - rope bridges! - and classroom learning. It's a little odd, but I don't really remember the instructors except that they gave space for all the students to take turns leading, and then later evaluating each other. It's a foundation of leadership that has stuck with me - we support each other as we learn to lead.

After five full years of training ME, I was informed it was time to give back . . . I would be teaching basic training to a new bunch of air force reserve candidates. I ain't gonna lie - it was a little overwhelming to think about that! And so when they set me up to be a drill instructor, it my was first "Atten-TION!" where the silent "please" was pretty apparent. Lol. So I was told, Corporal Davies, you will be a classroom teacher. I appreciated that, because that is where my skills would best be put to use, teaching about rank structure and other parts of the Canadian Armed Forces. (And I guess I made an impression as that cohort did a rendition of You've Lost That Loving Feeling, aka Top Gun, at the local pub. THAT was a moment.)

I was in the part-time reserves for the whole time I was doing my undergraduate degree, and it was a wonderful experience. Not only did I get paid to play my flute and learn how to do it better, I learned a lot about life. I learned about discipline and teamwork and leadership. I would think there are a few people who wouldn't like the structure that the military offers, but I believe that there is comfort in knowing what one needs to do to get promoted, to understand hierarchy because it is on everyone's sleeves. And yes there were nuances in the band that may not be in other parts of the military such as a new recruit who is the best musician gets the solos but there was still a feeling of shared ownership of how we show up as a team. What I do, what she does, what he does, it all affects how we get our work done, show up on parade together, play at that Remembrance Day ceremony. We all stand together as one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment